Well over 20 years ago in a little quilt guild in Fauquier County we had a block exchange. We broke out into groups of four and each month we would exchange our blocks. If I remember correctly my group did two sets of four – one bright and one not so bright.
About 12 years ago I put together the first of the two quilts as a challenge to complete a UFO. I have no recollection of having any problems tearing out the papers or putting the blocks together. OK maybe the mitered interior borders made me think a little longer but I remember being pleased with the finish.
After moving several times in the last 15 years I dug into a sweet little box and found these:
These blocks were so sweet and really deserved to be in a completed quilt. I knew that I wanted this quilt to be different than the original so I pulled out some fun and funky dots. Then I started really looking at the blocks.
Someone used glue to adhere the first fabric to the block. After a couple of decades, the glue still held. There was no getting that off. Some of the seams were skimpy while others were not trimmed. I used them anyway. I recognize one or two of the fabrics as mine but I don’t remember ever using glue on my fabrics.
With a little coaxing and cajoling I found a layout that worked. This second piece is not nearly as large as the first, but I’m liking it.
Terry used a higher loft batting to “fill out” the blocks and the quilting is extraordinary. Some of these blocks are similar to the ones in the “original” quilt. The quilting really makes this quilt even more special!
I was so thrilled with this I pulled out a couple more UFO’s to finish. Isn’t it amazing how a little success can inspire!